Monday, October 1, 2012

Where Am I?

Where am I? To me, this is such a broad question. I could be one place one minute and a different place the next minute. It’s a question that can be narrowed down in a unique way by the life you live. I believe everybody is from a place of their own. For me, that journey begins at home.
            As the saying goes, “home is where the heart is.”This couldn’t be more true for me. My home has always been my getaway from the rest of the world. I’m from a home where family will always be there. My home is warm and welcoming. From the smell of my mom’s cooking, to the smiles and laughter at family gatherings. I’m from a home where Saturdays are dedicated to home improvements, and Sundays are spent at church and relaxing. I’m from a peaceful street, in a well-developed neighborhood. I’m from a golf course view through the trees, and streets filled with children playing. My home is newly sided in a rich, charcoal grey, paired with fresh white shutters. I’m from planting flowers in the spring, and gardening in the summer. From countless hours of shooting hoops in the driveway, and games of baseball in the open lot across the street until dark breaks. I’m from childhood memories on a farm just south of Hampton where I helped my dad as much as I could. I’m from adolescent years spent living in town. I have always appreciated the home I come from and I couldn’t have been blessed with a better place to live.
Along with my home, my school is another big part of where I spend my time. I’m thankful to have grown up going to Aurora High School, home of the huskies. Red, White, and Black bring about a positive atmosphere as you walk down the halls of AHS. Each day is made a great day to learn, through the teachers who put passion into what they do. In my case, I feel like I spend just as much time (if not more time) at school during the school year than I do at my own home. Sad, I know. Between classes during the day, and practice in the afternoon, it’s a good thing I enjoy being there. I’m from the middle school track practices where Coach Thompson always ended the practice with, “It’s a great day to be a Husky”, and us track athletes responded, “It’s always a great day to be a Husky, Coach Thompson.” This was the first time being a Husky really sunk in for me. As I enjoy my senior year, I think about the privileges that come with being from Aurora. There are countless. I’ve been taught so many good values and skills that will carry me through my future.
I’m from a community that gives back to its people. I’m from a small town not far from a big city. I’m from Aurora, Nebraska. Population just over 4,000 and it’s the perfect size. Growing up here, we always took field trips to the local Plainsman museum, where we learned about the History of Aurora. We come from a town whose roots are deep in the making of our past. From the old, 3-level homes that display charming character to the rustic brick streets that line the town square. The beautiful courthouse serves as the heart of our community’s downtown. Unique shops are built up around it that continue to thrive and drive our local economy. Business owners are never shy of a greeting and smile, and are willing to assist you in whatever you need. Aurora is home of the annual A’ror’in Days parade in June, where the square fills up with alumni and current citizens that take part in food, entertainment, and fun in celebration of our community. This is Aurora. This is my home. This is where I’m from.
            I am from Nebraska, a.k.a “the good life.” I’m from Saturdays spent at Memorial Stadium or in the family room rooting on the big red. I’m from long drives on country roads with my dad, the windows rolled down, the smell of fresh air swarming you in the presence of a cool breeze, and the radio turned down low. I’m from Tornado alley, and lightning storms that radiate the sky. I’m from a place where people still wonder if we have electricity and running water. Ridiculous..right? Nebraska is home to one of my favorite food chains out there-Runza.
            I am so thankful the places I have endured that help me answer the questions I have about where I am. I’m excited to see what the future holds for where I will be.


2 comments:

  1. Dearest Emily Braun,
    I really like you. . . Um I mean your writing. I love how you can see how much you love your family and look up to them through your writing! Also, that was very creative to say something about Runza! very cool! It looks great and I love how you organized the pictures! Great job! :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily,

    I really liked that you focused on your actual house and described it and its location. You really could be a spokesperson for Aurora! You do a good job of pointing out its positive attributes! Nice work!

    Dr.English

    ReplyDelete